- 3 to 4 pounds medium-size fresh shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper, ground
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Hot cooked rice
- Combine oil and flour in a Dutch oven and cook over medium heat, stirring, until mixture is golden colored. This should take about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add onion, celery, green onions, green pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, 15 minutes or more until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste, the water, salt, black and red pepper, bay leaves, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add shrimp and simmer for about 10 minutes more, or until the shrimp turn pink. Remove the bay leaves. Stir in parsley and serve over rice.
Recipe credit: Walter Coghlan